Dennis Kent has provided some history of this lighthouse:
Four lights have guided boats through the Digby Gut. The first was established in 1804 but only was there for four years when it burned down in 1808. The light was extinguished until 1817 when a replacement was finally built. That tower too was burned down in 1873. Unfortunately, these towers included the keeper's quarters. The third lighthouse was built in 1874. This light was simply demolished by pushing it over the bluff with a bulldozer into the ocean in 1964. No "environmental impact statement" was needed. The light and structure today was built in 1964. It was unmanned in 1987. Many of the keepers passed the job from father to son and in one family it passed from grandfather to granddaughter. This lighthouse has featured the red vertical stripe since 1817.
Directions: From Highway 303 in Digby, follow Lighthouse Road north and west to the end.View more Point Prim Lighthouse pictures