Posted/Updated by Bryan Penberthy on 2011-02-21.
Helen Kimberly Stuart was heavily involved in the Neenah community. She donated the land to the City of Neenah in 1929 for the creation of a park where the Fox River meets Lake Winnebago. The park would carry the family name, Kimberly Point Park.
Word got out that the president of the Kimberly-Clark Company was looking to buy up the land, including the park, to build a million-dollar estate on Lake Winnebago. Mrs. Stuart fought the company and eventually won, preserving the park. At this time, she also donated four additional parcels of land to increase the size of the park.
In 1939, community members started considering a lighthouse at the point to guide boaters into the river. James C. Kimberly provided the funds for the construction in 1944, and the tower was completed in 1945. The base of the tower houses the park's restrooms and covered picnic areas on each side. The tower is an active aid to navigation, and is therefore not open to the public.
Directions: The lighthouse sits in Kimberly Point Park. To get there, from Highway 41, take Main Street east. It will change names to West Wisconsin Street, and then to East Wisconsin Street. Follow this to the end, and make a left onto Lakeshore Ave. Follow Lakeshore Ave. north to the park. The lighthouse sits in the park.
Access: Grounds open. Tower closed.View more Neenah Lighthouse pictures