Owls Head Lighthouse

Rockland, Maine - 1826 (1826**)

Photo of the Owls Head Lighthouse.

History of the Owls Head Lighthouse

The tower is a mere twenty feet tall housing a 4th-order Fresnel lens, however, due to the ledge it sits on, its height-above-water stands at about 100 feet with an effective range of 16 nautical miles. There is a lot of interesting stories that go with this lighthouse. The most interesting one follows:

The lighthouse keeper's assistant was his dog. He had taught the dog how to ring the fog bell by pulling the rope with his teeth. The dog also had a knack for knowing when boats would be going by by listening for their horn. The story goes something like this...it was a cold night and the snowfall had given way to a blizzard. The dog had ran outside to ring the fogbell, however, the bell was frozen solid. The dog ran to the cliffside and began to bark into the night. The dog continued to bark until the Matinicus mailboat's captain had sounded the horn to let them know that they had cleared the rocks. The captain was later to have said that he was dangerously close to the rocks when he heard the dog's bark and steered clear soon enough to avoid the peril.

Directions: From Rockland, Maine, follow State Route 73 south out of town for about 1.8 miles. Head east on North Shore Drive (~ 2.5 miles). Once on North Shore Drive, make a left onto Main Street, and then a quick left onto Lighthouse Drive. Follow Lighthouse Drive to the end.

View more Owls Head Lighthouse pictures
Tower Information
Tower Height: 30.00'
Focal Plane: 100'
Active Aid to Navigation: Yes
*Latitude: 44.09200 N
*Longitude: -69.04400 W
See this lighthouse on Google Maps.


* Please note that all GPS coordinates are approximated and are meant to put you in the vicinity of the lighthouse, not for navigation purposes.

** This year denotes a station date. This is the year that a lighthouse was first reported in the vicinity or at that location.

All photographs and information on this site is copyright © 2016 Bryan Penberthy unless otherwise specified. No content may be used without written permission. Any questions or comments, please email me.