This is the fourth lighthouse to be built at Tybee Island. The first one was completed in 1736, made of wood and stood ninety feet tall. It later succumbed to a severe storm. The second was completed in 1742, and made of brick and wood. It too was built much to close to the Atlantic and was threatened.
The third Tybee Island Light was built in 1773 much further from the ocean. In 1857, the light was fitted with a second order Fresnel lens. This tower was used until 1866 when a cast iron lighthouse was authorized to be built.
An interesting fact about this 4th lighthouse is that the lower 60' of the 1773 lighthouse was used as a foundation. The crews added ninety-four more feet and a First Order Fresnel, the light now totaled 154' tall and was re-classified as a major aid to navigation. The light beamed 18 miles out to sea. Because of this re-classification, the lightstation now required three keepers. It was first lit October 1, 1867.
Directions: From US-80 in the village of Tybee Island, make a left onto Campbell Ave. Follow Campbell Ave to the end, and make a left onto Van Horne Street. Once on Van Horne Street, you will make a quick right onto Meddin Drive. Follow this north to the lighthouse.View more Tybee Island Lighthouse pictures