Pensacola's designation as Naval yard made it easy convince the government to build a lighthouse there. The first lighthouse built in 1825 and was the first US lighthouse built on Florida's Gulf Coast. Like so many early lighthouses, its light was grossly inadequate and was later replaced by 171 foot tower outfitted with a First-Order Fresnel lens.
Directions: The lighthouse is located on the grounds of the Pensacola Naval Station. Permission to view the structure can be obtained at the main gate at Route 173. Route 173 is South Blue Angel Parkway, but on base, it changes to Radford Blvd. The lighthouse sits alongside Radford Blvd. about 3 miles down.View more Pensacola Lighthouse pictures