The lighthouse was originally built to guide steamboats down the Schuylkill River. Ideas for a lighthouse to provide safety for river users appeared in meeting minutes dating back to the 1820s. It wasn't until the early 1880s was a formal request made for a lighthouse at Turtle Rock. It was listed as necessary, but not urgent, and therefore delayed until 1887. Minutes show that the Chief Engineer for the project was Frank Thurwanger, and the lighthouse construction costs were $2663.00.
The Lighthouse Digest Archives have a much more detailed history for this lighthouse. It can be read here.
Directions: The lighthouse sits on the grounds of the Sedgeley Club, which is at 15 Kelly Drive, Boathouse Row, in Philadelphia.View more Turtle Rock Lighthouse pictures