Dennis Kent has provided some history on this lighthouse:
It is called Peggy's Cove by many but a light in the harbour is officially called that. This lighthouse is at the entrance of the harbour. As should have been expected, the day was very foggy July 22, 2003 and we ate lunch in the wonderful fishing village in the hopes that the fog would lift. It never did but gave all the photos that day a wonderful mood. We mailed postcards to our home from the lighthouse. During the summer it is an official post office. The tower is operational and is 50 feet tall and 67 feet above the water.
The first tower here was wooden on a keeper's quarters. It was a kerosene lantern built in 1868. A 4th Order Fresnel lens was installed in 1915 but in a new tower built 50 feet west of the original light. The first light stood until it was destroyed by hurricane Edna in 1954. In 1958 the light was automated.
Directions: From Highway 333 (Lighthouse Route), take Peggy's Cove Road south to the lighthouse.View more Peggy's Point Lighthouse pictures