Dennis Kent has provided some history of this lighthouse:
This lighthouse is at the end of the Digby Neck after crossing with two ferry boat rides adding more to the adventure. There, on a windswept cliff sits this red striped 60 foot tower, 95 feet over the water. Originally, a stone edifice was authorized in 1806 but in a change of heart that was changed to a lower cost wooden tower in 1808. That was built in 1809. Poorly constructed, it was deemed a hazard and replaced with a second tower in 1832. A steam whistle fog horn was installed in 1873. The keeper's son, Frank Suthern was assigned responsibility of the whistle. His father, John Suthern was keeper from 1867. He was given the assignment for his service in the Royal Navy. The sea must be in their genes. His grandson, John Slocum was the first person to single-handedly sail around the world, leaving from North America at Sambro Island Lighthouse in 1895.
A new fog horn was installed in 1907. Shortly after, three red daymark stripes were added to the previously, all white tower to make it more visible in snowy weather. In 1922 the light was fitted with a 3rd Order Fresnel Lens. The second tower in turn burned down in 1944 to be replaced with the current, operational light. Assistant lighthouse keepers were eliminated in 1969 and 1972. It was totally unmanned in 1987.
Directions: From Westport on Brier Island, follow Wellington Street west to Lighthouse Road. Follow Lighthouse Road south and west to the lighthouse.View more Brier Island Lighthouse pictures