Dennis Kent has sent some history on this lighthouse:
Here is a great spot for a picnic. July 26, 2003 this photo was taken of Gilbert Cove Lighthouse. This light was built in 1904 and only had one family in service. William Joseph Melanson was the first keeper. When he retired in 1950 at 75 years of age, his daughter, Louise took over. The light was automated in 1965 but Louise continued to live in the house until her death in 1972. The light was a 7th Order Fresnel Lens from 1922 to 1941. It was 40 feet above the water. The light was discontinued in 1984. Like many lighthouses it fell victim to vandals until the local community decided to restore it. Today, the lighthouse has a tearoom and craft shop. A popular place for a picnic anytime, on the third Sunday of July is the Annual Lighthouse Family Picnic. In 1990 it was declared a Provincial Heritage Site. It is amazing what dedicated people can accomplish.
Directions: From Highway 1 / 101 in Gilbert Cove, take Lighthouse Road east to the lighthouse grounds.View more Gilbert Cove Lighthouse pictures