Dennis Kent has provided some history for this lighthouse:
Here is another Nova Scotia lighthouse. Pictures were taken July 22, 2003. The first light was established here in 1872. The second light was put in place in 1928. Both of those are no longer standing. The third light was a combined light and keeper's quarters called a "cupola lighthouse". There were a few lights of this style, Gilbert's Cove and the Port Bickerton lights are similar. This light was built in 1940. It was especially important for guiding ship convoys into and out of Halifax Harbour during the critical war years. A gun battery was also put in place for harbour protection. The fourth light was built as a replacement in 1967. The tower is 45 feet tall but the bluff raises the light to 162 feet over the water. It was automated in 1980. Sadly, the third light structure was destroyed in a fire the year after this picture was taken, May 25, 2004. Efforts are underway by local groups to rebuild it to the 1940 appearance.
Directions: From Ketch Harbor, take Highway 349 north to Chebucto Head Road. Take Chebucto Head Road east to the end, which will take you to the station.View more Chebucto Head Lighthouse pictures