Dennis Kent has provided some history of this lighthouse:
This light can easily be seen from the Halifax Harbour Front. The first light here was built in 1876. It was destroyed in a 1916 fire. A temporary light filled in until the current tower was operational in 1918. The tower is 52 feet and the light is 56 feet above the water line. This light was a white light from 1922 until 1941 with a 4th order dioptric lens. The light was changed to a flashing green light until 1977 when it was changed to a fixed white light. The light was automated in 1972. In 1973 the south side facing the harbour entrance was painted with a red day mark. An electric lantern was installed in 1992.
The fog signal was in the bottom level of the lighthouse. In the late 1950's it was moved to a separate structure behind the lighthouse.
Lightkeepers for Georges Island Lighthouse Front Range Light:
Directions: This lighthouse is best viewed by boat, but distant views are available from the southern end of Halifax's boardwalk.View more Georges Island Lighthouse pictures