Dennis Kent has provided some history on this lighthouse:
The first light on this site was not very sturdy. Even though it was built in 1901 it was replaced in 1924 with a temporary light. It wasn't until 1930 that a light was built with a combined keepers quarters. Until then, the keeper had to row out to the light from the village across the harbor. The first keeper, Thomas O'Hara was poorly paid even for those days. He earned $150 per year. Even in the 1940's the pay was only $228 per year. Lobster fishing was one way to make a little extra on top of the lighthouse duties.
The fog horn was manually operated and only when a boat was coming into the harbor. Electricity came to the village in 1947 so on October 20, 1948 an automated fog horn was operational, powered electrically. Even so, the light station was lit with oil until the third lighthouse was electric power. The original fog alarm building was destroyed by a fire in 1962. The keepers wife drove to town to get men and a pumper to put out the fire. After that incident it was decided to equip all lighthouses with a gas driven fire pump. The third light was built in 1962 and was automated in 1988. it is combined with a fog signal and is operational today.
Lightkeepers for Port Bickerton Lighthouse:
Directions: The lighthouse is located at 640 Lighthouse Road Port Bickerton, NS BOJ 1AO. The lighthouse/interpretive center is approximately 30 minutes from historic Sherbrooke Village. On the Marine Drive, Route No. 211, at Port Bickerton turn left at the stop sign and follow the signs to the lighthouse. Coming from the East, follow Marine Drive (Route 316) to the Country Harbour Ferry. Drive Route 211 to Port Bickerton and turn left at the stop sign.View more Port Bickerton Lighthouse pictures