Dennis Kent has provided some history on this lighthouse.
Copper Harbor needed a lighthouse when copper mining took off in the UP. A keeper's dwelling and detached tower were built in 1848. The original tower was replaced with a tower attached to the dwelling in 1866. The station was manned until 1919 when it was automated. A steel tower was built in 1933 and the light moved to the 60 foot tower. From 1927 to 1957 the keeper's dwelling was rented to summer visitors at a rate of $85 to $125. The State of Michigan bought the property and incorporated it into the Fort Wilkins Historic State Park. There are quite a few interesting displays explaining the importance of the light and mining to the economy of the state and the country.
Directions It looks like there is a road, called Lighthouse Road that takes you directly to the lighthouse. Other sites report that the road is closed to the public. The best way to get to the lighthouse is by a boat tour.View more Copper Harbor Lighthouse pictures