Dennis Kent has provided some history on this lighthouse.
Another lighthouse on the same trip on 7/7/2007. Low water levels that year didn't allow us to get very close to the light. It was only about ankle deep at the light. It is an oldie and a goodie. An early style with the rare "bird cage" skeleton for the lantern room, it was built in 1859. It originally was fitted with a Fourth Order fresnel lens. The crib was rebuilt in 1867-1870 with large limestone slabs. The concrete tower was encased with iron plates which have fallen off over the years into Lake Michigan. The lighthouse was abandoned in 1912. During World War II it was used by pilot training on the great lakes out of Chicago and the Great Lakes.
Directions: The lighthouse sits out in Lake Michigan. It is best viewed by boat.View more Waugoshance Lighthouse pictures