Dennis Kent has provided some history on this lighthouse.
When it was built, White Shoal light was considered an engineering feat because to the isolation of its location. Originally lit in 1910 with a Second Order Fresnel lens it was in a better location and enabled the abandonment of the near by and limited Waugoshance Shoal Light. It is the only red and white barber pole light in the United States but was originally painted all white. Mariners complained that it was too hard to see and was repainted the current scheme. 121 feet tall it is interesting that they equipped this light with two cranes on the deck to unload supplies. Whichever direction gave the most protection from the elements, they could use the crane on that side for safety in unloading. The light is still operated by the Coast Guard and was automated in 1976.
Directions: The lighthouse sits out in Lake Michigan. It is best viewed by boat.View more White Shoal Lighthouse pictures