Posted/Updated by Bryan Penberthy on 2011-02-21.
Back in the mid-1800s, there was a town called Port Ulao, which was rich in timber. With this, a port to the lake sprang up. Records show that a request for a lighthouse was made to the federal government, with land being purchased for the lighthouse; however, no lighthouse was ever erected. Once most of the timber was harvested, the port faded from importance and disappeared.
The Kevich family built the current forty foot tall tower in 1981. The tower was added to the U.S. Coast Guard private aid to navigation chart as a class II light in 1990. The lighting apparatus consists of a 400 watt and a 1000 watt bulb. A rotating shield obscures the light every four seconds which gives the appearance of a flash to those in the distance.
Note: The lighthouse is private property, please respect this and do not trespass.
Directions: The lighthouse is located along Lake Shore Road between Falls Road and Lakefield Road. It is about 6 miles south of Port Washington.
Access: The lighthouse is private property. Grounds closed. Tower closed.View more Kevich Lighthouse pictures