The Cove Point lighthouse was built in 1828 for a total cost of $2000. Over the years, the station has grown and changed many times. In 1928, the lighting system was changed from kerosene to electricity. Not only has the lighting system changed, but the keeper's quarters went from a single family residence to a duplex to house the two keepers and families. As time progressed, a second stand-alone building was erected to house a third keeper.
In 1986, the station was automated. Not only does the light come on at dusk, and off at dawn, but there is a automatic bulb changer that replaces burned out bulbs when detected. And if that isn't enough, there is a "fog detector" that will start the fog signal when visibilty drops. Everything is monitored via computer remotely from Baltimore.
Directions: On Route 2 / 4 between the Towns of Solomons and Lusby, exit at Cove Point Road (Route 497). Follow Cove Point Road east to the Town of Cove Point. In the Town of Cove Point, the road will change name to Lighthouse Blvd. The Calvert Marine Museum runs tours of the lighthouse.View more Cove Point Lighthouse pictures