The first lighthouse was built on this point in 1852, but less than 20 years later, the point had actually grown. This put the original light too far from the bay to make it useful.
In 1876, a new Tawas point light was constructed. The new tower stood about 70 feet tall and was one of the first seven lighthouses in the nation to receive an occulting clock to make the light flash.
Directions: Following US-23 north out of East Tawas, make a right onto Tawas Beach Road. Follow Tawas Beach Road / Point Road 3 miles to Tawas Point State Park. Once inside the park, follow the signs to the lighthouse.View more Tawas Point Lighthouse pictures