Piney Point Lighthouse

St. Mary's County, Maryland - 1836 (1836**)

Picture of Piney Point Lighthouse
 
   

The lighthouse is knicknamed the Lighthouse of Presidents. Many past presidents have spent time around this lighthouse including James Madison.

The lighthouse sits along the Potomac River, and is about fourteen miles from the Chesapeake Bay. The tower initially cost $5000 to build, and was in operation until 1964 when it was retired by the Coast Guard. The keeper's quarters was originally a one story building, but in the 1880s, it was expanded giving it a second story. Other original "out buildings" included a bell tower that that served for many years before it was destroyed during a storm.

One other intersting tidbit was that a German U-boat (submarine) was captured off of Piney Point lighthouse during WWII. It was later sunk, and is now a historic dive site.

Directions: From Callaway, Maryland, take Route 249 (Piney Point Road) south for about 7.4 miles to Lighthouse Road. Follow Lighthouse Road to the end where there is a parking lot for the light.

View more Piney Point Lighthouse pictures
blog comments powered by Disqus

Home ]