Port Dover Lighthouse

Port Dover, Ontario - 1846 (1846**)

Picture of Port Dover Lighthouse

Not exactly the biggest lightstation on Lake Erie, but pretty cool none the less. The tower sits at the end of a pier and flashes a green light. It also has an electronic fog signal that was sounding when we came back to port from our day trip. The tower had a part time keeper until 1979, it has since been automated. One particular event to note was that the lighthouse was struck by lightning in 1981 which caused a fire and considerable damage. The light has since been repaired.

Directions: From Route 6 (Main Street) in Port Dover, follow Main to Harbor Street. Follow Harbor Street to the end. The lighthouse will be at the end of the breakwall.

Access: The lighthouse is owned by Norfolk County. Grounds open. Tower closed.

View more Port Dover Lighthouse pictures
blog comments powered by Disqus

Home ]