Dennis Kent sent in a few pictures of this lighthouse and also had a nice write up explaining a little history of the lighthouse:
Sturgeon Point Light was built in 1869. Originally with a 6th order Fresnel lens, was changed to a 3 1/2 order lens in 1889. The tower is 71 feet on Lake Huron. Near by is an old log school house. The light is operated as a museum and a gift shop on the grounds help support local efforts. A display of three ship rudders next to the gift shop gives an interesting look at one small aspect of changing technologies because of their different construction. Dennis
Directions: The lighthouse sits at the end of East Point Drive in Sturgeon Point State Park. From Harrisville, take US-23 north to the intersection where North Lake Shore Drive splits off. Follow North Lake Shore Drive north to East Point Drive. Follow East Point Drive to the end.
[ Home ]